Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Getting Crafty: Dorm Room Wall Décor

Senior year here I come! I honestly can’t believe I’m going to be a senior; it’s crazy how fast the past three years have flown by.

The past few days I have started to get all my school supplies and dorm things ready to pack so that I’ll be ready to move in. The past three years my dorm room wall décor has pretty much stayed that same, full of pictures of family, friends, and inspiring quotes on my wall, a black and white poster at the head of my bed, and to tie it all together some purple butterfly wings next to my desk. This year I have my own room and therefore I have more room to decorate. I want to jazz up my walls a bit and try something new!


The other day I was browsing one of my favorite blogs, Bowtiful Life, and came across Megan’s “Colorful Sophomore Dorm.” I instantly fell in love with the Lilly Pulitzer print flag banner that draped the wall above her bed. The colors lit up the room and make it look really cheerful!

Since I was already feeling crafty I decided to start right away and make my own! It’s pretty simple. All you need is a pair of scissors, a ruler, a pencil, and an old Lilly Pulitzer planner. If you do not have an old Lilly Pulitzer planner on hand (I’ve only ever had one, so that’s what I used) you can substitute the printed planner pages for magazine pages, design paper, old calendar pictures, etc.…really anything with a pattern that you like and are not bothered by cutting up).



I started by ripping out the print pages from my planner. These tend to be the pages that act as month dividers and are full print design. Once I had my pile I began with a trial where I used my ruler and pencil to sketch an even triangle. I then cut the triangle out using my scissors and proceeded to use that one as a base stencil for making the rest of the triangles for the flag banner! Once I had cut all the flags I tried to organize them in color order so I would be ready to hang them on my dorm room wall in a couple of weeks!




If anyone else has wanted to make a flag banner this is a really simple way to do it and recycle/reuse paper at the same time. Let me know if any of you have done this before or will try it now!

Don’t forget to subscribe so you never miss a post, I’d really appreciate it!


~Monique~

No comments:

Post a Comment