Thursday, October 8, 2015

What Art Means to Me

For those of you who have been following my More Than A City Girl blog and Instagram account from the beginning this will come as no surprise, I am a big fan of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Having grown up in New York City going to the MET was a staple in my life. This included numerous fieldtrips, art class homework assignments, and weekend visits for pure enjoyment! I remember I actually asked my mom once in Middle School if I could skip school that day and just do something fun. And that fun thing I wanted to do? It was go to the MET to see the Temple of Dendur. 
I love art and I love history, these two combined can transport you to another world, open to your own interpretations. Finding that one painting or piece of art that speaks to you is so special in the fact that you can go back time and time again to re visit that piece or art at different times in your life and be transported back to a single moment in time, not unlike listening to music.
Two of my absolute favorite paintings in the MET are by the same French painter, Pierre-Auguste Cot.  The Storm, 1880 and Springtime, 1873 are the two paintings that I always seek out to visit. Maybe it’s their magical quality or aspects of fantastical realism and detail that draw me in. Or let’s be real, maybe it's just the fairy aspect. Either way these two will always hold a special place in my heart.

You know that feeling you get when you walk into an empty room at a museum, when it’s just you and the art? I can’t end this post without at least mentioning that feeling because even if the galleries are full of people I find the museum finds a way to keep that feeling, that kind of personalization to it.
 
Another way to make visiting a museum personal is to make a game out of looking at the art! One of my favorite games it trying to recreate the images or facial expressions of portraits or sculptures. I promise, it’s fun! And even funner with friends!

What’s you favorite museum or part of going to a museum?

Let me know, I’d love to hear your comments!


~Monique~

No comments:

Post a Comment